Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Goodbye ! Mangalore


The last week of December 2010, we had the Gram Panchayat elections. In fact one phase of it was on the eve of the New Year on the 31st. Post new year, we had the election counting and the ruling party fared pretty well. So once the dust settled down, I was pretty sure there would be a long list of transfers of officers and we kept waiting for that news. As March arrived the rumors began to get stronger that I may be posted to Bangalore city as DCP. I was personally not too happy with that proposal. Somehow I had an aversion to work in the city as DCP, with so many boses breathing down your neck. I had now entered my ninth year of service and got a promotion in my scale of pay as well. This as I saw it, was the right time to leave the State Police and go on a Central Deputation to the Government of India. So I quickly put in my Papers for a Deputation to the Narcotics Control Bureau as the Zonal Director at Bangalore and also to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) as the Superintendent of Police at Bangalore. The reason for opting to Bangalore in both these cases was to ensure Deepu could finish off with her Post Graduation as well during this stable period of 4 to 5 years. Meanwhile, as the transfer lists were being prepared at the Government level, I was asked if I were interested in serving as the SP of Shimoga District. Now that I had already put in my name for CBI and made up my mind for the Central Deputation, I expressed my unwillingness regarding the district option. Now that I had made it amply clear that I don’t intend to continue in the State Police for the next 5 years, I expected that I would be allowed to continue at Mangalore till the time my Central Deputation papers are cleared and I get my orders. But that was not to be.

On 20th of Feb, the District administration organised the Mangalore Marathon. Me and Deepu participated in the mini-marathon of 6 kms. For the first time perhaps we saw how Mangalore looked like from the streets. Deepu got to meet P T Usha and the marathon turned out more memorable for reasons other than just running.
Even otherwise, the period from Diwali upto March had been pretty busy and enjoyable as well. We had family and friends visit us regularly. Bujji visited us during the monsoon but decided to stay indoors and relax for most of the time. We had both our Moms and Dads visit us and it was usually temple visits with them, Chotu was there for Dusherra & Diwali and friends kept dropping in at regular intervals. Deepu had thus mastered the art of being the perfect host, which even got mentioned in our farewell function that was to follow.
On the 21st of March 2011, the transfer list was finally out. As I had expected, my name did not figure in that list and I was not too surprised either as I had informed the Government about my deputation plans. A day passed and to my utter shock there was another transfer order on the 22nd and I was shifted from Dakshina Kannada to Bangalore as Superintendent of Police, Internal Security Division. This put me in a real spot. Firstly, the Internal security Division though has a very glamorous name, it has absolutely no work profile. Secondly we would have to shift all our set up here in Mangalore to a new place for a temporary period of two months. Thirdly living in Bangalore in posts like these would mean living out on your own without any help compared to all the perks enjoyed in Mangalore. Not that the perks mean anything, but it would definitely take an effort to get used to the new situation. Finally after the truth sank in, we made a plan out. We decided to avail all the joining time that is allowed under the rules and spend some quality time together. Accordingly I handed over charge of SP Dakshina Kannada to the new SP on the 28th of March 2011 and spent the entire joining time period upto 7th April at home with Deepu.
It was during this period that India made it to the world cup final. Having nothing to do, we volunteered to make the final match a memorable one for all the officers. Me and Deepu organised a nice party at home for all the officers and families and screened the match on big screen in the lawn. Couldn't have been a better ending to our stay in Mangalore with India's win, crowning the end.
We followed it up with a visit to the Kemmanagundi hill station and the Jungle lodges and resorts in the Bhadra wildlife sanctuary for a couple of days in Chikamagalur.
On the evening of 6th we were given a good Send-off and I packed my belongings and left for Bangalore by the early morning flight on the 8th. Deepu had come to the airport to see me off and I promised her that I would take charge and be back soon. So on the morning of 8th I reported at the Internal Security Division(ISD) and took Charge as the Superintendent of police. The rest of the day was all calling-on senior officers in the city. In the evening, I returned back to the office and when I was leaving, my boss asked me if I was going to Mangalore for the weekend. I said Yes, and he just suggested that I go and also make a visit to a couple of coastal security police stations (which formed part of the ISD) so that I could fly to Mangalore officially. I grabbed the opportunity and flew back to Mangalore the next morning. Deepu was glad to see me back and we spent a long weekend at home together, extending it to Monday to visit the Police Stations. On Monday evening we had an officers families get together dinner at a hotel, hosted by the Commissioner of Police Mangalore. Finally Tuesday did come… I woke up early and took the first flight to Bangalore and reported back to duty.
This week is full of holidays (with Rama Navami, Ambedkar Jayanthi and Mahaveer Jayanthi and then the weekend) but I intend to stay at Bangalore and get some things sorted out, especially the look-out for a new house, the finalization of the CBI deputation etc. May be next week I’ll make another visit to Mangalore and spend some time with Deepu. Till then Deepu also has things planned out at Mangalore. Her driving classes, Salsa classes, yoga, gym and off-course catching up with friends.

No comments: